We often forget about how much damage the elements can cause to our homes. Modern properties seem naturally impermeable when it comes to wind, rain and snow but this is an assumption that could end up costing you a small fortune. Gutters are installed on the edge of your roof or gutter with the purpose of draining rain water away from your home. This process normally occurs without any input from you with incredible efficiency but if your gutters develop a clog or a leak, your home may be vulnerable to water damage. It is of the utmost importance that you clean your gutters twice a year, while carrying out an inspection once every 3 months. Below is a list of instructions that you need to look for when inspecting your guttering.
- When it starts to rain go outside and look for any leaks or overflows. If you see a small amount of water flowing through your gutters, then you more than likely will have leaks in the pipe. If you see a lot of water flowing over the top of your gutter, then you will more than likely have a clogged gutter.
- If the pipe has developed a blockage, then you will need to call a professional to get the blockage unclogged. If the downspout is also unclogged, the gutter cleaner will remove this for you and unblock the pipe. The service man may use a plumbers snake to unclog stubborn blockages.
- Now get a ladder and climb up towards your gutter. When you are comfortably steady at the top of the gutter, look inside to see if you notice any slow moving or stagnated water. If there does not appear to be a blockage but the water is not flowing towards the downspout, the gutter pipes are not at an obtuse enough angle.
- Now it’s time to check the side of your walls to see if water is seeping down the side of your wall and fascia. If this is the case, you will more than likely have a gutter pipe which is pulling away from its mounting and this will need to be reattached.
- It is important to make sure your guttering is adequately bonded at its seams. Seams sealed with caulk or silicone can develop leaks over time and this is something that needs to be rectified.
Do not hesitate to give us a call if you have any of these issues. If you are in any doubt about the functioning of your guttering give us a call and we will repair them for you.